Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fluid levels on the rise...

So, I owe you an update, huh? Well, truly most everyone who reads this blog already knows the latest through other means of communication, but for the sake of posterity, here goes...

Basically, I drank and drank and drank until I could drink no more water since my appointment last Friday in an attempt to get my amniotic fluid level back up to a safe range and it seems to have paid off. (That and lots of prayer!) At my appointment on Tuesday, my AFI (amniotic fluid index) was 8.7, which is up from the previous 7-something last week. And although that is still a little lower than ideal, it was a step in the right direction and much higher than the level of 5 (that's in centimeters, oddly) that would have resulted in an immediate c-section. So...YAY!

I still have to continue to get checked twice a week from here on out, so I go back on Friday. And I will keep on pushing the water and praying for the best each time because the longer this little babe can stay inside mommy, the better my chances of going into labor on my own and avoiding the dreaded C.

They also did an NST (non-stress test) to check baby's heart rate and movements and those results were fantastic. She's a mover and a shaker! And the midwife did a quick check of my cervix to see what's going on down there. Results were that I am 70% effaced, 1 cm dilated, and the baby's head is low (she estimated in the -1 station). So, there still may be a while to go before labor begins, but at least stuff is happening. Now, we wait...

Thanks to everyone for your prayers and kind words! I'll try to continue to keep posting updates as they occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment